Employees are a company's biggest assets, as without a dedicated and passionate workforce driving the business forward, it may be hard to achieve the rest of its business objectives. It's so easy for companies to get bogged down in the ebbs and flows of day-to-day working, but taking time out to recognise, appreciate and say thank you to the team can go a long way. Hence the concept of Employee Appreciation Day on 1st March.However maintaining a motivated workforce that truly understands and breathes what your organisation is about and stands for is invaluable. Having employees that are passionate, dedicated and want to come to work are indeed your organisation's lifeblood which will ultimately help your organisation and it's teams thrive and grow. It's as simple as that. So, what's the secret? Employee appreciation and employee happiness! Studies (and common sense) have shown that unhappy, unmotivated employees are not necessarily loyal and do not tend to stay in jobs where they don't feel valued and appreciated.
So, with this in mind, here are a few effective and fun ways to show your employees you appreciate them without breaking the bank:
- Thank you notes - a handwritten thank you note says a lot! It expresses what you're grateful for and that you've taken time out to highlight this.
- Fruit bowls - healthy employees, healthy minds! Boosting immune systems can boost employee morale too... Treat employees to complimentary fruit baskets.
- Staff anniversaries - Allow each employee to take their work-anniversary off to commemorate another successful year of working within your organisation.
- Birthday celebrations - Everyone loves some sort of birthday cheer, so treat your employees to a birthday cake, decorate their desk or even send out a good old birthday email.
- Flexi-time - Flexibility can often be more dear to an employee than a physical token of appreciation. Allow some sort of flexi-time schedule, within reason.
- Lottery ticket - Give your employee that you've chosen to recognise the chance to win a million, and it will only cost you a couple of quid. Simple yet effective!
- Team lunch - Take the team out for lunch or bring in the favourite take-aways.
- Milestone Rewards - Take teams on fun outings that have achieved specific targets.
So, once you've vested that necessary time and effort in finding the right employees, show them gratitude and that they are indeed valued and needed. There should be no excuses to the amount of times a little thank you, or well done is expressed. And just as Richard Branson cleverly confirms "I have always believed that the way you treat your employees is the way they will treat your customers, and that people flourish when they are praised," just remember, a little thank you, goes a big way!